Saturday , August 24 2019
Home / canada / "We will declare war": Philippines Duterte gives Canada 1 week to take back the rubbish – National

"We will declare war": Philippines Duterte gives Canada 1 week to take back the rubbish – National



[ad_1]

OTTAWA – The president of the Philippines says that if Canada does not take garbage tonnes the next week, it will "declare war" and will return the containers themselves.

READ MORE:
Canada has violated international law with rubbish in the Philippines: lawyers

The Philippine media reported that Rodrigo Duterte threatened with a dozen shipping containers filled with Canadian households and electronic smuggling for more than six years in a port near Manila.

WATCH: Canadians discard more waste than ever before





The Canadian company sent over 100 containers in Manila in 2013 and 2014, which were incorrectly labeled as recyclable plastics.

Customs inspectors discovered that they actually contained rubbish, including dirty adult nappies and kitchen garbage.

A Philippine environmental expert joins a demonstration outside the Senate building in protest against the import of garbage from Canada, Pasay, south of Manila, Philippines, September 9, 2015.

EPA / FRANCIS R. MALASIG

For almost six years, Canada has been trying to persuade the Philippines to remove garbage there, although the Philippine court has ordered that garbage be returned to Canada in 2016.

READ MORE:
Activists invite Justin Trudeau to drive a Canadian dump from the Philippines

Last week, a lawyer from British Columbia said in a legal report that Canada violates the International Basel Convention, which prohibits developed countries from sending their toxic or hazardous waste to developing countries without consent.

[ad_2]
Source link