Sunday , March 24 2019
Home / canada / Three dead in a bus accident at Westboro Station with more than a dozen wounded

Three dead in a bus accident at Westboro Station with more than a dozen wounded

What we know about a crash:

* A bus traveling westward and driving through Transitway has reached the Westboro station at around 15:50. Friday
* Three people died and 23 were wounded
* Two men died while on the bus while another person died, standing on the platform
* One of the witnesses said that the bus hit the ice before it fell to the station
The police chief said that he was 269. He said that the bus driver was arrested and taken to a hearing. "Something brought us" to arrest her, the boss said.
* Transitway was closed by Scott Street and Transitway, between Westboro and Tunney's Passure stations
* The authorities ask people to stay out of the area
* Churchill Seniors Center at 345 Richmond Rd. is open to those who are looking for information about family members involved in an accident
* The Ottawa hospital said it received a total of 12 patients in its Civic campus and six in its campus General

At the end of the long weekend for passengers on the "Connexion" route 269 OC Transpo, which was running towards the Bridlewood city district of Kanata, this should be a normal trip home.

A deadly bus accident at Westboro Station

But when a packed bus with two roofs crushed through the Westboro station at 15:50, something suddenly happened, terribly wrong. The driver lost control and sent a bus that went over the curb and shelter when he broke into a overhanging steel and glass roof of a shelter that cut six or seven lines deep into the upper right side of the bus.

Two people on the bus and one person standing on the platform were killed. The other 23 were wounded, nine in the hospital on Friday night with critical, life-threatening injuries.

A female bus driver was arrested on the scene.

"I remember hearing that the bus driver said," Oh, my God, my God, my God, "one passenger said as she pushed her down the street down the street, an hour after the accident.

"The bus was full, each seat was taken, and in addition, there were people who were standing in the middle row, so they were flying back," said a woman, a member of the army who did not give her a name.

"Everywhere was glass. One man I helped him, his foot turned in the other direction and he had blood all over his face. He was upstairs to the left, the other from the front.

"One person on the road was unconscious, the other was conscious, but rather exaggerated. It was awful. "

Police, ambulances and firefighters arrived at the Westboro station as they attempted to free the wounded, many of whom were caught on the upper level of the bus. The police closed the Scott Street near the station and the buses were routed from Transitway.

Firefighters used ladders to get to the upper level of the bus, as the first transponder worked at temperatures to cool the bones for comfort and treatment of the injured. Some seriously damaged were removed on the stretcher through the broken upper front bus window. Others were transporting or limping their way to the fleet of waiting rescuers.

"I am deeply saddened to say that there were three confirmed victims," ​​Mayor Ottawa Jim Watson said at the evening press conference in the town hall.

"On behalf of my colleagues in the City Council, our hearts and sympathies are distributed to all those who are injured, those families who have lost their loved ones and their families. Our thoughts are also with others on this bus, at this station, in those who are directly involved, and with those who have witnessed a collision. "


The Ottawa hospital has declared the Emergency Code about half an hour after the accident. He received 12 patients in the Civic Campus Trauma Center and six at Camp General. The doctor at the Civic campus entered the emergency room and turned to a handful of people who were waiting for conditions that were not related to a bus accident. He thanked them for their patience and instructed everyone who felt that they were getting worse, talking with a triage.

"We have a massive accident," he explained. "Some are really critical patients."

The bus driver was taken to the police headquarters on Friday night to be questioned by the police.

"As far as the driver is concerned, I can advise you without getting into the details that there was a request to arrest her at the scene and take her to our headquarters for an interview," said Otto Charles Bordeleau, the head of the police. In reply to the next question, he said: "I can tell you that something has led us to the fact that we arrested an individual and took them to the station."

They were released on Friday night.

Six police collision investigators investigated the events to find out what went wrong. The Ministry of Transport and Transport of Canada, Ontario, is also involved in the investigation, Bordeleau said.

"The response to any kind of incident is tragic and very difficult," Bordeleau said. "It's a chaotic scene."

Road 269 does not stop at Westboro Station, which runs straight from Tunney's pasture, its former station to Bayshore. Full ride takes about an hour, many passengers come from the National Defense Headquarters at the Mackenzie King Bridge, where it starts running.

This is the second deadly incident for OC Transpo since 2013, when the bus was driven by a passenger train Via on a level crossing near Fallowfield Road. Six people died, including a bus driver. Westboro and Fallowfield buses included the OC Transpo bus with the Alexander Dennis E500 double bus. John Manconi, a transport manager, said that an inquiry by the Transport Safety Board after a disaster in 2013 found fault in the vehicle.

"Remember that the TSB report was very crystal clear that there was no problem with a two-storey bus in terms of maintenance, from OC Transpo's requirements for their maintenance, we are doing all the MTO reviews and so on," said Manconi.

The city established a job at the Churchill Seniors Center to function as a reception center for those seeking information about family members who were unable to reach it and a warm-up center for the first responses that were on the scene.

MORE: What happened at Westboro Station? The investigation should be lengthy

To help families and disaster stories, consultants from the Victim Victim Victim Ottawa were available. Workers from the Red Cross and the Rescue Army were also installed inside.

About eight in the morning, only about twelve people entered the reception center, and many were worried about loved ones with whom they could not connect. Soon after, when the center was opened, the couple reunited with their teenage daughter.

The inhabitants of Canada's Mary Hawkeye went to the center around 19.00. when she could not get in touch with her 26-year-old son, who works at a restaurant in the city center.

"He left a couple of hours ago," she said before she entered. »Does not answer to a mobile phone. Passes directly to voicemail. So we're not sure, "she said.

"I hope this is good news."

Hawkeye left the center a few minutes later after her son called from home.

"We're so breathed," she said. "But we pray for anyone who is waiting. Please for those people who have not heard anything yet. "

People worried by loved ones who may have been on the bus can call the Canadian Red Cross at 1-855-797-8875 for more information.

A scene of a bus accident at Westboro station.



The Magee House proposal could reopen the sidewalk; The owner of Somerset was punished

Man filled after pulling out a cabin with a knife

Kingston was arrested on charges of child pornography

Source link