SEATTLE – Doctors believe that a woman who died due to rare brain amoebas used tap water to make sinuses sinuses.
The 69-year-old resident of Seattle died in February after brain surgery at a Swedish medical center. Her doctor tells The Seattle Times that she is "ameba all over the city that eats brain cells."
According to a study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, doctors believe that the woman is probably infected when using tap water in a pot pot, similar to a teapot that squeezed out the nasal passages.
Health workers suggest that only the distilled, sterile or pre-boiling water should be used to wash the syringes. Water from the faucet can contain small organisms that are safe for the drink, but they can survive in the nasal passage.
Such infections are very rare. From 2008 to 2017 there were three similar cases in the USA.